Local Plan Update
On Monday 18th September HDC agreed to put the Local Plan 2011-2031 out to public consultation.
The plan states that up to 700,000 sq mts of warehousing will be added to Magna Park.
Coincidentally this is the total space required by IDI Gazeley and dbSymmetry for their 2 outstanding planning applications.
What can I do?
1) Attend one of the consultation meetings to find out more information
- Cotesbach Village Hall – Monday 9th October 7.30pm to 9.30pm
- Bitteswell Village Hall – Thursday 19th October 6.30pm to 7.30pm
- Ullesthorpe Village Hall –
Tuesday 17 October 7 – 9.00pmThursday 26 October 5 – 7.00pmFriday 27 October 3 – 6.00pm
Attend the Harborough DC drop in event on Saturday 21st October between 9.30am to 2.30pm at the Wycliffe Rooms in Lutterworth.
2) Respond to the consultation process
- Go to: http://www.harborough.gov.uk/strategic-planning-consultations
- Click: Register if you are not already registered
- If you are already registered then fill in your e-mail address and password.
- Click on: Local Plan: Consultation ends: 03/11/2017 5.00 PM:
- Click on: (6) Business and Employment: BE2 Strategic Distribution on the contents page.
- Click on: the pencil alongside this information: 2. Additional development of up to 700,000 sq.m. for non rail-served strategic storage and distribution (Class B8) use will be permitted where it would:
- You will then be presented with a dialogue box to enter your representation summary in 100 words. If you want to write more than 100 words, keep your summary and write more to upload in a word processor document.
Use this information here to give you some ideas about how you might fill in the form.
Please use this to help you fill in your form BUT do not copy it exactly as the Inspector may disregard this.
For Harborough DC’s summary of the Local Plan and help in completing the consultation form click here.
More details of the Local Plan are below.
Local Plan 2011-2031
Every local council is required by government to produce a Local Plan.
Harborough District Council states that “Our new Local Plan will set out planning policies in the district for the period from 2011 to 2031.
It will make sure development meets our strategic priorities through:
- Policies to meet our future needs relating to areas such as housing, employment, community facilities, transport as well as infrastructure needed to support development
- Strategic allocations of land to meet future needs
- Policies to protect the local environment
- Identifying the boundaries of strategic and local green space”
Currently HDC has a Core Strategy 2006-2028 that will be replaced by the new Local Plan when it has been agreed.
The Core Strategy 2006-2028 adopted on 14th November 2011 states:
Magna Park Strategic Distribution
h) Protect Magna Park’s unique role as a strategic distribution centre (B8 uses/min unit size 10,000m2) of national significance and an exemplar of environment performance. No further phase of development or large scale expansion of the site, beyond the existing development footprint (to be defined in the Allocations DPD) will be supported.
However it appears that this will be completely reversed in the draft Local Plan 2011-2031 currently being considered. There is a draft Local Plan 2011-2031 which is currently being considered by councillors. It is expected that there will be changes to this draft including the following proposed change which may replace the current statement on page 84:
BE2 Strategic distribution
1. Magna Park, as identified on the Policies Map, is safeguarded for strategic storage and distribution (Class B8). Proposals for redevelopment at the existing site will be permitted where:
a. each unit has at least 9,000 sq.m. gross floorspace; and
b. any new building or the change of use of an existing building(s) is for Class B8 and ancillary use only; or
c. the proposal for any non-strategic storage and distribution use is smallscale, proportionate in scale to the strategic storage and distribution use and ancillary to the use of individual plots.
2. Additional development of up to 700,000 sq.m. for non rail-served strategic storage and distribution (Class B8) use will be permitted where it would:
a. form an extension of, or be on a site adjoining, Magna Park;
b. support or at least have no adverse impact on the viability and deliverability of existing or further Strategic Rail Freight Interchanges (SFRI’s) within or serving neighbouring authorities and Leicesterhire;
c. increase employment opportunities for local residents, including training and apprenticeships
d. include measures to enable an increase in the proportion of the workforce commuting from locations within Harborough District;
e. not lead to excessive traffic congestion anywhere on the nearby strategic and local road network, particularly the A5, whether within Harborough District or outside and
f. ensure 24 hour operations do not have an unacceptable environmental, community or landscape impact in the immediate and wider surrounding area
By coincidence 700,000 square meters it is almost the same as the total space defined in the two outstanding planning applications:
dbSymmetry: Symmetry Park: 15/00865/OUT: 279,000 sq mts
IDI Gazeley: Magna Park North: 15/01531/OUT: 433,000 sq mts
The timetable for agreeing the Local Plan is now:
- September 2017: Council approval of pre-submission Local Plan for publication
- September/October/November 2017 consultation opportunity for public comments
- January 2018: Submission of Local Plan to Secretary of State for public examination
- April/May 2018: Examination hearing
- August 2018: Receipt of inspector’s report
- October 2018: Adoption of the Local Plan
Facebook: Magna Park is Big Enough