Local Plan Update
The Local Plan consultation closed on Friday 17th November.
Thanks to everyone who responded.
Let’s hope our views are listened to.
Many people had problems completing the forms – if you are one of them then please write to
expressing your concern at how difficult it was to register your views.
Local Plan 2011-2031
Every local council is required by government to produce a Local Plan.
Harborough District Council states that “Our new Local Plan will set out planning policies in the district for the period from 2011 to 2031.
It will make sure development meets our strategic priorities through:
- Policies to meet our future needs relating to areas such as housing, employment, community facilities, transport as well as infrastructure needed to support development
- Strategic allocations of land to meet future needs
- Policies to protect the local environment
- Identifying the boundaries of strategic and local green space”
Currently HDC has a Core Strategy 2006-2028 that will be replaced by the new Local Plan when it has been agreed.
The Core Strategy 2006-2028 adopted on 14th November 2011 states:
Magna Park Strategic Distribution
h) Protect Magna Park’s unique role as a strategic distribution centre (B8 uses/min unit size 10,000m2) of national significance and an exemplar of environment performance. No further phase of development or large scale expansion of the site, beyond the existing development footprint (to be defined in the Allocations DPD) will be supported.
However it appears that this will be completely reversed in the draft Local Plan 2011-2031 currently being considered. There is a draft Local Plan 2011-2031 which is currently being considered by councillors. It is expected that there will be changes to this draft including the following proposed change which may replace the current statement on page 84:
BE2 Strategic distribution
1. Magna Park, as identified on the Policies Map, is safeguarded for strategic storage and distribution (Class B8). Proposals for redevelopment at the existing site will be permitted where:
a. each unit has at least 9,000 sq.m. gross floorspace; and
b. any new building or the change of use of an existing building(s) is for Class B8 and ancillary use only; or
c. the proposal for any non-strategic storage and distribution use is smallscale, proportionate in scale to the strategic storage and distribution use and ancillary to the use of individual plots.
2. Additional development of up to 700,000 sq.m. for non rail-served strategic storage and distribution (Class B8) use will be permitted where it would:
a. form an extension of, or be on a site adjoining, Magna Park;
b. support or at least have no adverse impact on the viability and deliverability of existing or further Strategic Rail Freight Interchanges (SFRI’s) within or serving neighbouring authorities and Leicesterhire;
c. increase employment opportunities for local residents, including training and apprenticeships
d. include measures to enable an increase in the proportion of the workforce commuting from locations within Harborough District;
e. not lead to excessive traffic congestion anywhere on the nearby strategic and local road network, particularly the A5, whether within Harborough District or outside and
f. ensure 24 hour operations do not have an unacceptable environmental, community or landscape impact in the immediate and wider surrounding area
By coincidence 700,000 square meters it is almost the same as the total space defined in the two outstanding planning applications:
dbSymmetry: Symmetry Park: 15/00865/OUT: 279,000 sq mts
IDI Gazeley: Magna Park North: 15/01531/OUT: 433,000 sq mts
The timetable for agreeing the Local Plan is now:
- September 2017: Council approval of pre-submission Local Plan for publication
- September/October/November 2017 consultation opportunity for public comments
- January 2018: Submission of Local Plan to Secretary of State for public examination
- April/May 2018: Examination hearing
- August 2018: Receipt of inspector’s report
- October 2018: Adoption of the Local Plan
Facebook: Magna Park is Big Enough